In 2021 there are 3.78 billion people who use social media globally, this number will be projected to increase to four billion in 2025. Of course, in the future, the world’s population will continue to use social media. Indeed, currently, the trend of social media is increasing and many people are already dependent on this platform.
But have you ever considered creating your own social media application? Creating social media for the first time has various challenges. To get started, you can follow the guide that we have compiled and researched.
Social Media App Features
We’ve compiled a list of 5 must-have features to keep in mind when you’re developing your social media app.
1. Connectivity with Existing Social Media and Networking
The purpose of this social media application is to keep you connected with your friends, family, community, and idols. Of course, it needs to be integrated with social media friends, and family, through your contacts. So you need to prioritize this feature when building applications.
In addition, it connects with existing social media such as Facebook, Google, and LinkedIn at login and registration. That way it can make it easier for users when login in or register.
2. Privacy & Security
Security and privacy of social media applications are important to keep personal information from being misused. But it’s not just about personal data.
Just as Twitter has now added a tweet circle feature where when people write their status only a few people who see it can be friends, family, or community. So that their status can be safely and only known by the circle.
In addition, security needs to be a priority. In the verification process, of course, what is often used is 2FA verification or 2 steps in verifying when logging in. Can also use data encryption so that the data is only known by the user.
3. As a Place for Self-Expression
When viewed from the current trend, most users want features that can help them express themselves. Such as face filters, custom profile photos, filters for videos, and tools to edit their content. Of course, this will give birth to content creators who are active on your social media application.
4. Organize the Latest and Old News
It turns out that it is not only a place to express yourself, your social media needs to consider this as the center of new news or emerging trends. It should also be noted that the news that appears is adjusted or personalized to the preferences and interests of your users by using machine learning algorithms. If there is inappropriate content, the user can report the content.
5. Integration with Third-Party Services
Lastly, to fulfill your complete feature needs, it is necessary to integrate with third parties. This is to avoid users switching to applications that they are used to. By integrating it there is no need to switch between applications. Your app will be more like a mix of messaging and social media. You can include the following services:
- Relationship networks like Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Media sharing networks like Instagram, and TikTok.
- Discussion forums like quora, and Reddit.
- Social publishing platforms like medium, vocal, and Twitter.
So far, you have understood what features should be on social media. If you want to know more about 5 Mobile application development trends to follow in 2023 that you must know. But if not, the next discussion is how to build a social media app.
How to Build a Social Media App
Determine the requirements and the result you want. Don’t forget to set the target user and what makes them interested in using your application. This is an important foundation for entering the market and knowing the needs of your users.
Next is the development of your application model for the future. This prototype can be a rough idea or can be simulated before your application is made. It’s much easier to edit ideas and add innovations.
You can get started with these 3 steps below:
- Sketch/HiFi in advance to establish the basis for the interface and visually show the layout, key features, and structure of your app
- Create mockups/wireframing. You can find online mockup tools like Figma and HotGloo.
- Prototyping aims to simulate the interaction between the user and the interface. In addition, to ensure all buttons work properly.
In development, there are 2 sides, namely the client side (front-end) and the server side (backend). Frontend involves everything visible on the user’s screen. For development on Android, you must use the Java programming language (including Kotlin, Scala, and Flutter), while iOS needs to be written in Swift or Objective-C. But if you prefer both or cross-platform we recommend using React Native.
Now that your application has been defined quite clearly, the next step is to define your system parts. You need to set up the server, database, API, and storage. There are several types of databases such as:
- PostgreSQL or NoSQL
- Non-relational such as MongoDB
Then for the server part or backend tech stacks include:
- Operating system
- Web server
- Programming language
But when you choose the right backend tech stack, you don’t have to select each component separately. There are already several proven optimal backend stacks. The following are technologies that are often used by developers:
- LAMP stands for Linux (operating system), Apache (webserver), MySQL (database), and PHP (programming language). LAMP is considered to be the most popular backend stack due to its high scalability, security, and customizability.
- MEAN is an acronym for MongoDB (Database), Express.js (Application framework), Angular JS (Frontend framework), and Nodejs (runtime environment). MEAN is known for its high performance and flexibility because it uses the same language in all components.
- MERN includes MongoDB (Database), Express(Application framework), React/Redux (Frontend framework), and Node. Js(runtime environment). MERN is most often used to build high-end single-page applications.
To maintain quality in development you need to run tests. By testing, you can check for errors in the code and test the UX. Alpha testing (developer + test team) includes the following:
- Functional testing
- Integration test
- Unit testing
- Bug fixes (Tips How to Reduce Software Bugs)
You can also run beta testing (by real users). Use the Reddit platform to invite users to test your new app Deployment. After the test is complete you have to publish the product on the app store and google play.
Each of these markets has very different policies for publishing new apps. Android doesn’t immediately review newly submitted apps, but you can add your app directly to Google Play. iOS is different here. Apple reserves the right to review and approve your app before it can go live. You can wait for the application to be approved for at least one week.
How Much Does it Cost to Create a Social Network App?
Building a social media app can cost anywhere from $25,000 to $250,000 depending on the features you add. The more features to implement and the more robust the infrastructure, the higher the development costs. Below are approximate development costs for the most popular social apps.
- Facebook: $420,000 – $465,000
- Instagram: $100,000 – $300,000
- WhatsApp: $120,000
- Pinterest: $120,000
- Clubhouse: about $33,000 for the basic app
- Dating apps like Tinder: $50,000-$150,000+
- Apps like TikTok: $65,000 – $115,000
- Zoom: $120,000 to $260,000
- Twitch App: $250,000-$350,000
Note that the MVP costs at least half that. Now you know the basic steps of social media app development. Want to build a social media app or integrate social features, but don`t want to spend time coding? The Emveep service is very useful. Our team has extensive experience in developing iOS, Android, and web applications and launching chatbots. Please contact us for more information.